Pollution occurs in the environment when things that weren’t there before are added into the air. Now, we don’t see this happen as it begins and starts to seep into the earth’s atmosphere but soon we will realize the damaging effects of our choices.
Isn’t sin like pollution?
Humans are so absorbent of their environment and their minds and if you are allowing yourself to be surrounded by the wrong friends, peers, and even acquaintances you are susceptible to the pollution they’re adding to the air around them. Just like a crafty serpent, people can be persuasive, cause you to sway, and to doubt the truth.
Lessons from Eve
Genesis Chapter 3
As we look at Eve in Genesis, we learn that this is what happened to her. The serpent was able to place seeds of doubt in Eve’s mind that caused her to question and doubt God’s goodness. He used a sincere motive to make her feel like it was okay to eat the fruit so she could be like God. After all, aren’t we called to be like God? In our walk with Christ, we are being sanctified and we are growing to become more like Christ. Ultimately, this is our goal as humans who have a relationship with Jesus and serve the one true God.
In this chapter of the Bible, we see the quick spread of sin from Eve to Adam and as the chapters move on we can see the ripple effect of sin from the garden to Sodom and Gomorrah to today’s generation. Adam and Eve did not realize their sins would pollute the generations to come, all the way to today’s generation. Once they realized they were naked in the garden, they felt shame and guilt. To remedy their guilty conscience, they looked to eliminate their sin by sewing garments out of fig leaves.
In this story, we can see how easy it is to fall into the enemy’s traps – he is crafty and can twist and make any temptation look like a good, pleasing, and even a right thing! If God tells us not to do something and we do it, we defy God and his authority over our lives. We take his place and decide what is best for our life and circumstances. When our conscience makes us aware of our sin, we need to repent and allow Jesus to cover our shortcomings. Like Adam and Eve, we can believe we are running and hiding our sin from God, but He knew our sin before we decided to fall into temptations and there is no running.
Which Way Will You Pass The Fig Leaves?
Fighting temptation is something everyone will do more than once in their life. It begins with a thought in our mind, and we have to choose if we will allow this sin in our lives or if we will fight it.
James 1:14| But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
As we stand on the edge of stepping over to do what is right or wrong, there is a rush of adrenaline as we try to make a decision as quickly as we can. There are two questions we can ask ourselves when we are in this situation:
1) Are you going to sew the fig leaves into garments to cover your sin, hide from God, and pollute those around you?
2) Are you going to pass on the fig leaves and be honest with God and let the blood of Jesus cover your sins and be allowed in God’s presence?
Consequences of Sin
Romans 6:23 | The wages of sin is death.
Sin sucks our souls dry and will drain us of fruits of the spirit. Spiritual death would be eternal separation from God.
Isaiah 59:2 | But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden His face from you so that He will not hear.
Not only will we be separated from God but He will hide His face and will not hear you.
- HIDE in God’s presence and fill yourself with His word! When we know the truth, we will know when the enemy is lying to us.
Psalm 119:11 | I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
- PRAISE is an antidote to overcome your doubt and not let it seep into your mind. When we praise God for everything he has done and is continuing to do in our life, we do not have room to doubt. When we remember the things He has done we will become more confident in the temptation we are fighting.
- PRAY – it’s our lifeline to Jesus! We are able to fight and stand against temptations when we are in communion with God. He is the only one able to help us in our times of need and deep trouble.
- REMOVE yourself from any toxic situations or people – friends, family, acquaintances. 2 Timothy 2:22 “So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
P.S. If you enjoyed this blog, be sure to share on your favorite social media feeds! As always, I welcome your feedback, comments, and questions.